Thursday, December 1, 2016

Always Learning


I got these two new square bowl molds and proceeded to build my design. I cut the glass base 6x6 the same size as the mold top dimensions. I slumped the pieces and when I opened the kiln I noticed one of the bowls slumped into the mold crooked. I later read an except from a great book called "Joy of Fusing" that said to always make your pattern from your mold 1/2 inch smaller then the mold so your glass sits inside the mold and not on the top edge. Having had only one basic fusing class and basically learning from experience I did not learn this fact. I've just been lucky that most of my previous pieces have been relatively shallow and I've had no problems until now. The bowls are still pretty and usable but not 100% perfect. I highly recommend the book I mentioned by Randy and Carole Wardell. It comes as a paperback or Ebook, which I got.

No comments: