Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Layers of Art and Glass


This piece was a lesson learned. The top layer was painted with my glass powder aloe vera paints. The top layer included all the white flowers. The second layer was just a sifted layer of glass powders in yellow and green and some lavender. Both of the layers are clear glass and I fired them together at a full fuse schedule. When it was cool the I decided that the second layer was not dark enough and that next time I try this I need to double the amount of glass powder I use to get the effect I want. So to solve this problem and bring out the flowers more. I used another piece of opaque teal green glass that I painted stems and leaves on with glass line paint and sifted on more powders. I tack fused this piece before layering it with the first two already fused layers. Here is where the real lesson came in. I full fused this 3 layer piece at a conventional schedule in my Bonnie Glo Fiber Kiln, directly on the kiln washed and powdered floor of the kiln. After firing I reached in the kiln to pull out the piece and it had stuck to the kiln floor and pulled up several chunks of the floor. I thought that I was following the directions for the kiln but I came to find out that the manual was not worded correctly. Probably I should have at least used kiln paper or used a kiln shelf.  Fortunately the kiln was easily fixed by taking out four screws and flipping the bottom over. I was so relieved to find this out after I called the manufacturer. All and all I'm pretty happy how the glass piece came out though. I placed it in a stand up display and the piece has depth you can see layer to layer.

No comments: