Saturday, October 29, 2016

Back in the Painting Studio


I am finally back to painting. The season has changed and with fall upon us and some rainy days, my studio is nice and comfortable for painting. I chose a photo I took this summer in Canada. I cut and pasted the photo on my iPad and painted over the photo with my iPad pencil to plan out my colors and values before I began to paint. I posted the photo below without any changes.

Original Photo
iPad Rough Design.

As you can see in the finished painting below, I have made many changes to the photo above In order to create a better composition. First I moved the building over to the right side to balance better with the hills in the background. Then I changed the season to fall to create more color and interest in the vineyard. I also changed the sky to reflect a sense of weather and changed the lighting to create drama. I added some cypress trees to the foreground to add some depth and changed the foreground to a warmer color. The proportion of my painting surface was different then the photo was so my initial drawing was proportioned to fit that shape. I hope you agree that the changes made for a better painting.

Okanagan River Vineyard, Canada.....16x20 acrylic on gessoboard.

No comments: