Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Please fill in your email above to subscribe to this blog.

Fused Glass Powder Painting

This is a 5.5x11 piece. I first did the drawing in black glass powder on a clear piece of glass. I sifted an even coat of powder all over the glass then began removing powder in the sky and moving the remaining powder around with various tools and brushes. I continued to work forward adding and subtracting powder where needed. I placed this on top of a second sheet of glass and full fused it.

Next I turned the piece over and painted with colored powders mixed with aloe vera gel. I let it dry completely over night and full fused it again. Putting the color on the backside kept the front smooth and glossy. These can be displayed on the wall, framed or unframed, or placed in a free standing table stand of metal or wood.

The photo below is after the 3rd and 4th firing. On the 3rd I painted the backside completely with aloe French vanilla paint to make the piece more opaque. I forgot that French vanilla reacts with cyan blue and it created the gray shadowing effect in the sky and the water area. I wasn't really happy with that so I put some more Opal cyan powder on the front side hoping to get rid of some of that gray. I also put a light dusting of blue over the back hills trying to set them back in distance. I probably should have put a heavier solid layer of cyan on the sky and simplified it more. I think I'll be done with this piece and take what I've learned and move on to the next.


 

No comments: