Saturday, September 3, 2016

Please fill in your email above and submit to subscribe to my blog.

More Glass Powder Painting

I have been experimenting with powdered glass. The piece above was done by placing real leaves on a piece of white Opal glass and then sifting over them using them as a stencil. I then lifted the leaves away carefully and then decided to use copper glass line paints to outline and add details to the leaves. I also used a sharp object to draw into the powder to make lines and squiggles.
The above photo shows the piece after a full fuse. I really like the powders because they fuse completely into the base glass and are glossy and do not feel like they have been added on to the top. Sometimes the glass liner paints feel raised and not quite as shiny, especially if they get a little thicker.
The piece above is also powders. I put a thin coat of aloe Vera over the white piece of glass and sifted on the yellow powder. On top of that I squeezed on premixed aloe Vera with powder from a squeeze bottle creating a design with the black and the red. I scrapped through the design with a palette knife to remove everything to form the thick white lines of just the white glass. I full fused the piece and then slumped into a candy dish mold. The glass was smaller and a different shape then the mold so I got a completely different bowl shape then the original candy dish shape. I was happy with the shape though.
The piece below was done with the homemade aloe vera powder paints. I cut a white opal circle of glass to paint on. I squeezed various colors of paint to make an abstract design. Then I scrapped through the black with a palette knife to create a texture. I also pushed the paint around with a brush and pulled some paint out with a toothpick to create the flaring lines. I added some clear frit to the red areas. Then I full fused the piece and slumped it into a shallow bowl.
The photo above is the gel paint before firing. I put it on kind of thick so I let it dry overnight before fusing.

The design was totally spontaneous because I'm still experimenting with the paints to see how they preform. The next one I do will be a more planned design. We'll see how that works out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: