Thursday, April 7, 2016

New Kiln

New Kiln

I got home from Phoenix and decided to buy a small kiln. It is 15" across inside. It is big enough to fire a lot of jewelry and yet big enough to fire large plates and bowls. It is great to use in my home studio. It doesn't heat the room up too much either.
I have fired 3 or 4 times with it and it works great. I'm so excited to have it. It was a nice birthday present.
I've been trying out some of the pre programmed schedules and some schedules I put in. For these tests I've been making jewelry and coasters. They have come out well.

More coasters and pendants

The tile above was the only failure. I tried to fire this with jewelry at too fast a rate. The jewelry was fine but this 5x5 piece was too large for that firing schedule. It's just a learning process.

This piece will be slumped into a sushi plate as soon as I buy the mold. Not bad for just using up glass scraps.

No comments: