Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fused Glass Techniques

New Experimental Fusing Techniques

The photo below shows the projects I have in the kiln now. They involve some techniques I have wanted to try. One technique is using flexglass. It is made with a store bought gel called flexi-glass, a sheet of silicon plastic and some glass frit powder. You make sheets of thin glass and you are able to tear, cut or stamp shapes out of it to use in your glass projects. The second technique is making bubbles in your glass by coating with baking soda and water solution in between the layers of glass. The third technique is placing copper wire in between glass layers as an inclusion. On the left side I used aluminum foil as an inclusion. I also used glass paint lines on the top layer of glass, but I have done this before.
I bought some 5" sushi plate molds so if these fuse ok I'll be slumping these into them. This photo is before firing. Hopefully I'll be able to show you a good photo of how all these techniques worked out.
 


 

No comments: