Friday, June 3, 2016

Please enter email above to subscribe to this blog. Thanks.

Candy Bowl With Frit

This bowl was done with 2 layers of clear glass with multi colored course frit I made. I like the colors but as you can see the outer edges got hazy which I believe is devitrification. I think it was caused because I left the used thin fire in the kiln and placed the mold on stands in there with out cleaning out the old kiln paper. I did not know that the atmosphere in the kiln can cause devitrification. I have slumped at the same schedule several times and have not had this problem. So I am pretty sure that was the cause. It is still a useful bowl. It just looks frosted. Next time I will know better.
The piece above is a streaked Amber glass and French vanilla glass. The center has Opal cloud frit and Amber frit. As you can see in the photo below after full fusing the Opal cloud frit almost disappeared. There is some slight variation though.

The piece is ready to slump tonight.

 

 

Final slumped dish.

 

No comments: